Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Assignment #8 The Real Riel

Kane: Hello everyone, today we have a special guest and he's see-through! Louis David Riel has come back from the dead just so he can be interviewed by me, what an honor! A Round of applause for the great man! So Louis, how are you feeling today?

Louis: Well I guess I could say I'm feeling empty! *Laughs* No I'm just kidding im doing pretty good besides the fact I was hung because I was a "traitor" and treated as a psycho, by some people. Other than that I'm pretty happy that I'm here today.

Kane: So, my first question is, what was going through your head when you knew you were going to die? How did you feel?

Louis: Well, I was proud and confused..

Kane: Proud?

Louis: Well I wasn't proud I was about to die, but I was proud of what I had accomplished before dying. I was proud because I knew I made a change and that the Metis respected me and looked at me and saw a leader and a Father or Confederation. Also they looked at me as the person who founded Manitoba. I grew up with the Metis. If you're wondering what "Metis" means, it means a person with one Aboriginal parent and one European parent. They were treated as outcasts because it was said to be that the father (usually the European) would come home and rape the wife and then abandon the family. No, I do not think that is true and I'm pretty sure my fellow Metis would would argue with that too. So I was also confused, why am I dying? I didn't do anything wrong. I wasn't the only one. What would happen to me after I died? What would happen to my family? Would they be hung too? I was confused.

Kane: Wow, deep. Next question. Where did you grow up? Was your childhood a good or bad experience?

Louis: Well I spent my childhood on the east bank of the Red River, not far from St. Boniface and the property of my Lagimodière grandparents. I grew up with the Métis, VERY conscious of my identity, inherited through my father’s line. I began my education when I was 10 years old eventually studying at the school run by the Christian Brothers established in the Settlement in 1854. With the aim of training priests for the young colony, in 1858, Bishop Taché sent me, Daniel McDougall and Louis Schmidt to Montreal to continue our studies. So overall it was a pretty good experience.

Kane: Again, deep. So for my final question, how did it feel having a seat in the house of commons 3 times?

Louis: Well, it was an honour as well as a privilege. Even though I was chosen to take a seat in the House of Commons on 3 different occasions, I was unable to take my seat in the house. In 1875, my role in the execution of Scott resutled in being exiled from Canada.

Kane: I wish I could say I understand, but I don't. I have to go now it was a pleasure being here with you, bye!

Louis: Thank you, I enjoyed the company.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

cisco http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Kitchen-Cabinets/default.aspx scoparia http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Slipcovers/default.aspx novo http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Polar-Monitors/default.aspx racine http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Popcorn-Machines/default.aspx caguas http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Garage-Door-Openers/default.aspx accountancy